6495 New Hampshire Ave
Hyattsville, MD 20783
Risk factors for CVD, with special interest in diabetes, lipids, and the effects of diabetes on CVD in women
I currently chair the steering committee and have a field center for the Strong Heart Study, largest longitudinal study of diabetic CVD in the US. I am the PI of a center for the Women’s Health Initiative, and am chair of the P&P committee for WHI. I also am the PI of a multicenter intervention study to determine the effects of aggressive LDL and blood pressure targets on CVD in diabetic.
- Howard BV, Cowan LD, Go O, Welty TK, Robbins DC, Lee ET for the Strong Heart Study Investigators. Adverse effects of diabetes on multiplecardiovascular disease risk factors in women: The Strong Heart Study. Diabetes Care. 21: 1258-1265, 1998.
- Waters DD, Alderman EL, Hsia J, Howard BV, Cobb FR, Rogers WJ, Ouyang P, Thompson P, Tardif JC, Higginson L, Bittner V, Steffes M, Gordon DJ, Proschan M, Younes N, Verter JI. Effects of Hormone Therapy and Antioxidant Vitamin Supplements on Coronary Atherosclerosis in Postmenopausal Women: A Randomized Controlled Trial. JAMA. 19:2432-2440, 2002.
- Writing Group for Women's Health Initiative Investigators. Risks and Benefits of Estrogen Plus Progestin in Healthy Postmenopausal Women Principal Results From the Women's Health Randomized Controlled Trial. JAMA. 288:3210333, 2002.
- Howard BV, Criqui MH, Curb JD, Rodabough R, Safford MM, Santoro N, Wilson AC, Wylie-Rosett J. Risk Factor Clustering in the Insulin Resistance Syndrome and its Relationship to Cardiovascular Disease in Postmenopausal White, Black, Hispanic, and Asian/Pacific Islander Women. Metabolism 52: 362-371, 2003
- Howard BV, Wylie-Rosett J. Sugar and Cardiovascular Disease. A Statement for Healthcare Professionals From the Committee on Nutrition of the Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism of the American Heart Association. Circulation 106:523-527, 2003